Like us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Instagram ACS Podcasts Contact details Email us

Music Licensing

Retailers need a licence from both the PPL and PRS to play music anywhere in store.  If others can hear it, be they employees or customers, then a licence is required. Both websites give details of who needs a licence and why, and also online applications for the respective licences.

PRS have made a series of commitments under a code of practice, which is available here

Detailed in the code are commitments to:

  • Provide information about the general governance, licensing and membership activities of PRS for Music
  • Set standards of conduct that members and licensees can expect from the society
  • Set standards for transparency
  • Outline the complaints procedure for members and customers
  • Provide an independent ombudsman for complaint resolution