The Local Shop Report has been in place since 2012, discovering key information about the convenience sector. Below are some highlights from previous editions of the report.
- There are 49,888 convenience stores in mainland UK, making up a sector that is now worth £35.6billion, a growth of 5% on 2012.
- Local shops are a source of new investment – almost three quarters of convenience store owners
(73%) are new investors
- Local shops are a vital source of employment – nationally, the convenience store sector provides jobs for around 375,000 people
- Local shops provide a vast range of services to their community – more than one in four stores offer home grocery delivery, 64% provide bill payment services and almost 5,000 feature new technologies like contactless payment.
- Local shop owners are some of the hardest working people in the UK – 57% of shop owners work more than 50 hours per week on average, and more than half of local shop owners have been in the business for more than 10 years.
- Local shops foster entrepreneurs, more than 77% of stores owned and operated by small business owners. It is also a place for many starting out in business, 70% of retailers are investing for the first time; and it also attracts people of all ages, 1 in 10 is under 30 years old.
- Local shops are a vital source of employment offering in excess of 372,000 jobs across the country. A quarter of employees are aged 16-24 and 88% of stores offer training. It is also a sector where families work together more than 60% of independent retailers employ at least one other member of their family
- Local shop ownership is ethnically diverse – 48% of local shop retailers cite themselves as Asian British and there is significant variation by region with 89% of London retailers citing themselves as Asian compared to 13% in the South West.
- Local shop owners work long hours – 60% of retailers work longer than 50 hours per week and 31% take less than 10 days holiday a year.
- Local shops provide a growing range of services such as bill payment services, cash machines, mail order collection and home news and grocery delivery.