There is now less than a week to go until the Standardised Packaging of Tobacco Regulations and Tobacco Products Directive’s sell through period ends. From 20th May 2017, retailers must ensure that all their stock is compliant with the new regulations.
From 20th May, retailers must ensure that they only sell:
- Tobacco with standardised packaging
- Cigarette packs with a minimum of 20 cigarettes
- Roll-Your-Own tobacco which has a minimum weight of 30g
- Unflavoured cigarettes and Roll-Your-Own tobacco (with the exemption of menthol cigarettes)
- E-cigarettes which feature a health warning
- E-cigarettes with a maximum of 20mg/ml of nicotine (unless they are licensed as medicines)
- E-cigarette refills with a maximum size of 10ml
- Disposable e-cigarettes, cartridges and tanks with a maximum size of 2ml.
ACS is urging retailers to be prepared ahead of 20th May by consulting our comprehensive guidance for retailers on the upcoming changes to tobacco retailing.
The guidance sets out the action that retailers need to take at every stage of the introduction of the regulations and includes details of changes to the law on the sale of tobacco packs, roll-your-own tobacco, e-cigarettes and flavoured tobacco.
The guide is part of our successful Assured Advice scheme, which ensures that your store procedures must be respected by all local enforcement officers including environmental health, police and trading standards.
The full guidance can be downloaded on the ACS website here: https://www.acs.org.uk/advice/tobacco/.
If you have any questions about the changes to tobacco, please contact Julie Byers, ACS Public Affairs Manager by emailing Julie.Byers@acs.org.uk or calling 01252 533008.